This week WordPress released version 3.2. WordPress 3.2, nicknamed Gershwin after composer and pianist George Gershwin, is a major upgrade and recommended for all users.
For a full list of changes in WordPress 3.2 click here. Here are some of the highlights:
- Requirements Changes–
- PHP 5.2.4 or greater (old requirement – since WordPress 2.5 was PHP 4.3 or greater)
- MySQL 5.0.15 or greater (old requirement – since WordPress 2.9 was MySQL 4.1.2 or greater)
- Enhanced Browser Compatibility–
- Drop Internet Explorer 6 support
- Start End-of-life (EOL) cycle for Internet Explorer 7
- Browse Happy notify users of out-of-date browser
- WordPress is Faster and Lighter–
- Faster page loads — We’ve gone through the most commonly loaded pages in WP and done improvements to their load time
- Faster Upgrades — The update system now support incremental upgrades so after 3.2 you’ll find upgrading faster than ever
- Optimizations to WP_Filesystem — Updates over FTP are now much quicker and less error prone
- Stream downloads to the filesystem — Improves update times and lowers the memory footprint
- Performance improvements for wptexturize()
- Remove PHP4 compatibility including timezone support
- More efficient term intersection queries
- Some optimizations in the HTML sanitizer (kses)
- Speed optimizations for is_serialized_string()
- Cache the Dashboard RSS Widgets HTML output to reduce unnecessary Ajax requests as well as the memory footprint
- And many other improvements and tweaks
To download WordPress 3.2 click here.
If you need help upgrading to WordPress 3.2 feel free to contact us.