A few weeks ago one of our new clients came to us about transferring their domain before we began our work. After gather all the proper credentials we sat down to do something we had done hundreds of times before. However, we quickly learned that having a domain with Microsoft Office Live means you lose all control over your DNS. If you want to control your DNS you actually need to go through the process of canceling your account with Microsoft Office Live. When you do that your website is taken down, your email is gone, and you are left wondering what to do next.
Thanks to this great post by Peter Vatistas in which he outlined all the steps to cancel your Microsoft Office Live account our job was a thousand times easier. Here are the steps that Peter outlined which worked so well for us:
First off, go to here and fill out the information to receive your cancellation email with domain registration key.
- Now go to http://www.melbourneit.com.au/cc/godirect/
- Enter your domain name and registry key and click on continue.
- Click on ‘create a new account’ below the text box where you are prompted for my account password.
- Fill up all the information needed:
- Contact Information
- Login Information
- Other Information:
- The Country Code is “1″ for United States (for UK it is 44)
- The email address you enter must not be related to the domain you are attempting to transfer/manage.
- After filling up all the information, check the box that says I have read and understood the Sign up Terms and Conditions. I agree to abide by the terms and conditions, as stated there in.
- Click Create. Now your account is created.
- On the My Account Console page, click Logout on the right side of the page.
- Now you will be redirected to the Melbourne IT web site.
- Click Manage Domain Name on the right side of the page.
- Type your domain and registry key.
- Click Enter Management.
- Click Transfer management to Melbourne IT.
- Sign in using the username and password for your Melbourne IT account using the username and password, which you created for your Melbourne IT account.
- Click Continue after you have verified all the information on the page.
- Click on My Account console.
- Click on the link “View/Manage domain name” under the Domain Names.
- Click on your domain name (customer domain name) under the Domain Name section.
- Click on the Unlock Domain Name.
- To change name server, click on Change Delegation Details under Name Server Details on the right side of the page. Here, you can change the domain name server settings for your new service provider.
- To obtain new authorization code in order to transfer your domain, click Retrieve Domain Name (auth info) Password (on the same page on point 17).
If you have any trouble feel free to contact us and we can walk you through how to transfer your domain from Microsoft Office Live.